Unfettered Musings

Thursday, November 18, 2004

We can't let them do it.

By now the circumstances surrounding the "shot heard 'round the world" have been analyzed by friend and foe alike. I have been expecting, as have fellow bloggers, the MSM to compare this incident to Abu Ghraib. Bill over at INDC Journal reports that he heard the anticipated but dreaded claim on CNN Monday evening.

I join him in his declaration that we must not let them get away with it. In his words:

No. We are not going to let the MSM do this. We are not going to let them blow up an incident that took place in the heat of asymmetrical urban combat amid booby-trapped bodies and enemy atrocities into a full-scale worldwide spectacle of American self-flagellation. When Abu Ghraib took place, I was disgusted by the repellent actions of the soldiers that casually abused their prisoners; I wanted them punished for the damage that they did to US credibility as well as the shocking impropriety of their actions. But within two weeks, after dozens of front-page stories and top features crowded major dailies and cable news broadcasts, my sentiments shifted to anger at the US media for once again sensationalizing and taking an issue out of context, and incessantly editorializing condemnation of the Bush Administration and the much larger effort in Iraq.


I urge you to read the rest of the entry. He makes some terrific points regarding the difference between this occurence and the horrendous goings on at Abu Ghraib.

Matthew over at Froggy Ruminations asserts that the marine's actions were justified, and calls the incident a "security issue".

I, for one, am glad the marine is alive and the insurgent is dead. Call me crazy, but I am all for erring on the side of caution in these cases. My conclusion after analyzing the tape? Good shot.