Unfettered Musings

Thursday, November 04, 2004

The sweet taste of victory.

I apologize, again, for my light blogging the last couple of days. I have been basking in the glow of one heck of a victory for Dubya, for the Republican party overall, and for values. I wrote a couple of days ago imploring America not to let me down. America, my faith is renewed.

I was utterly amazed when the revelation surfaced that the deciding factor for the vast majority was values, and not the economy or the war on terror. To me this speaks volumes. Middle America is tired of being marginalized and silenced by a spiteful, vitriolic, liberal media and has made it known to one and all. In my opinion that was the greatest victory to come out of this tumultuous election. I am elated.

I was going to cite several articles in which their authors assert that 58 million Americans have been duped, and how sadly ignorant we are as a group, but I changed my mind. If they want to remain closed minded, traditional values hating, christian bashers instead of realizing that maybe, I'm going out on a limb here, that MIGHT be what cost them this election? More power to them. I say keep up the good work. But they can do it on their own sites. I am not going to take up valuable space recounting it here.

I am disappointed that Californians passed Prop. 71. In my estimation, the people of that state deserve whatever financial hardship that results from giving their government another excuse to raise their taxes and to give their money unabashedly to unethical research. You've made your bed, California. I hope it doesn't get repossessed.

Kerry's concession speech pleasantly surprised me. I contemplated writing an entry speculating what a Kerry concession would look like, but I am glad I decided against it. My unflattering version would have looked petty and spiteful when compared to the real thing. He was most gracious. I got the impression that this was the first time he allowed us to get close enough to see the human Kerry. I honestly felt compassion and sorrow for him. I can't imagine the crushing disappointment. Between that and the news today about Elizabeth Edwards' cancer diagnosis, I have been praying a lot for the families of the two former candidates. My heart goes out to them and their families.

Wow, what a week. I am ever-so-glad it is a done deal. I am also glad it will be 4 years before we have to do it again!

Congrats on a most remarkable election, Mr. President!