Unfettered Musings

Monday, November 01, 2004

Election Eve

We're finally here. Gotta tell you, it has been one heck of a ride. I'm one who's mood pendulates with every new poll. My nerves can't take much more. It's not that I am worried that all is lost, by a long shot. I am just old and jaded enough to remember when W's dad was ousted just a few months after a rousing success of a war and a record high approval rating. I also remember well that America put a draft dodger in office in his place and then had the audacity to re-elect said draft dodger 4 years later.
I am still dumbfounded when his name is spoken with reverence and awe. Why such a large number of people get all gushy and dreamy-eyed over a draft dodging, adultery committing, used car salesmen will forever remain beyond my grasp. (I know, he was never a used car salesman. He just reminds me of one.)

I guess I'm a bit too cynical for my 30 years, but I just can't get too comfy with the idea that Americans will do what is best for the nation's well being, at least where electing a president is concerned.

My cynicism is only confirmed when I am privy to a tale recounting the fact that someone voted for Kerry because Bush wants Howard Stern off the radio. (Yes, this is a true story. Someone actually did vote early for Kerry for this reason. And here in the Lone Star State to boot. Get a rope.) I am faced with the question: Will the election be decided by clueless folks like these? How many of these people actually exist? The prospect is actually much too frightening to dwell on for long. I am deathly afraid of the answer.

But here, the night before the election, I am optimistic. I know the rest of my entry doesn't seem so, but I truly am. Cautiously. I believe that America still has a backbone somewhere. I believe that most voters realize what message a President Kerry would send to our troops, to our allies, to our enemies. I believe that 9/11 DID change us, and for the better. I believe that we are not so divided as the left would like for us to believe. I believe that MOST voters base their votes on more compelling issues than Howard Stern, and I believe that most voters are well informed about the issues dearest to them. I believe that most people choose on which side of an issue they fall based on personal convictions, and not an ill-informed celebrity endorsement. I believe that most people aren't swayed by a biased media, and instead seek truth wherever it can be found. I believe that most people know truth when they see it, and conversely, can recognize when they are being played.

I am optimistic.

Come on America. Don't let me down.