Unfettered Musings

Wednesday, October 27, 2004

Free speech? Only for those who believe that might makes right.....

A friend of mine posted these pictures on a message board that we are both members of, and with her permission I am putting them here along with her comments regarding them:

"I got the following email and pictures at work today, from the Bush Cheney '04 North Carolina Executive Director.

Sent: Monday, October 25, 2004 4:57 PM
Subject: Campaign Threats


As you might be aware, Bush Cheney '04 offices have been attacked across the U.S. in recent weeks. Here in NC, the mother of a Bush Cheney staffer had several signs ripped down and during the most recent attack, the attackers tried to set her car on fire. The police officer who investigated actually went so far as to suggest to her that she should not put up any additional Bush signs.

Now, today, we have received the following pictures (attached) from one of our supporters. The envelope that the knife had impaled contained a note threatening the Bush supporters who had put up the sign (I can scan and send that also if you are interested in seeing it). Please let me know if you have any questions. Threatening tactics against Bush supporters are, regrettably, becoming the norm across the nation. Obviously, we condemn this activity in the strongest possible terms and want it stopped immediately."

(Me: I edited out the name of the sender as was his request.)





This is the letter that was pinned to the sign with a knife:



So.....are these people truly advocates of free speech and tolerance for the views and opinions of others? If this loser is any indication of the prevailing attitude, the answer is a resounding NO.

Update: My friend tells me that she is expecting news later on of a possible break in this case. She says that there may have been an arrest made. I will update as I get news.

Update 2: My friend just pointed me to the story in the news. An arrest has been made! Don't you just love happy endings? :D